16 February 2009

Feel Better

I know that just a couple of weeks ago, I wrote about a soup, so I had some reservations about mentioning soup again. Technically it's still winter, though, and pretty much every one seems to be recently over a cold or getting one. So, soup it is. Again.

My cousin Nathan visited last week to do some amazing carpentry work on our unfinished staircase. It looks great, and we're pleased -- even Seth! During his visit I had the chance to cook for him, which was fun. But somewhere along the way I lost my voice. Maybe I should take it as a hint. After a couple of days of practically no voice, I was feeling very much like I wanted someone to cook for me. I wanted to snuggle on the couch with a cup of hot tea and have some delicious soup.

In a slight fog, I managed to pull together a soup that took very little effort and made me feel a bit better. We ate our soup snuggled in the den watching "Get Smart." It was the perfect not-feeling-well movie. It was funny and didn't require any brain power to watch it. It's like for a couple of magical hours I was able to be on autopilot. And we even had a couple of chocolate cookies for dessert thanks to a chocolate craving I had earlier in the weekend.

Hope everyone else is feeling well. Spring cannot come soon enough!


Sausage and Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
1 (or 2) links of good Italian sausage, casing removed

1 medium onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled, quartered and sliced

1 28-ounce can of fire roasted tomatoes (I like Muir Glen Organic)

Approximately 3 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 cups small or short-cut pasta

2 handfuls of spinach, chopped
Red pepper flakes to taste

Salt and pepper to taste


Brown and crumble sausage add onion and carrot, cooking until vegetables begin to soften. Add stock and deglaze the pot. Add canned tomatoes and paste. Bring to a slow boil, stirring occassionally and adjusting seasoning. Add pasta and continue to cook on a slow boil until pasta is al dente. Do not overcook the pasta as it will continue to cook in the soup once you turn off the heat. Just before serving, stir in the spinach. Top with parmesan and enjoy!

No comments: