13 May 2010

Browning bananas

I'm running late, you may have noticed. I usually try to post on a Monday or a Tuesday, but this week I was having fun with my family at the Oregon Coast. We played in the sand, listened to sea lions bark, watched boats churn by and ate some delicious seafood.

Now, it's back to reality of sorts, and it seems I'm up to my eyeballs in laundry, work, cleaning and hosting the neighborhood gals for a night of fun.

All of that, and the quickly browning bananas in my fruit bowl are demanding I do something other than throw them straight into the compost bin. So, despite the fact that I gave you a muffin recipe last week, I'm offering up another. This is actually a post from about a year ago. But I swear it's my favorite muffin, and I just couldn't stand it if you didn't have the recipe.

Go, hurry, before the bananas turn to complete mush.

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted from a Boston Cooking School Cookbook muffin recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 medium over-ripe banana, mashed well

Combine first four ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, mix eggs, yogurt, butter and banana. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins (greased or lined with paper cups). Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick insert comes out clean and tops are slightly golden. Let cool in tins for 10 minutes and then remove to continue cooling.

No comments: