05 April 2010

A fresh potato salad

I can wait until June for blueberries. And July for fresh melon. Even August for fresh corn. But having to wait until summer for potato salad just seems a little crazy.

I was in the mood for potato salad the other day, but I had more than a few restrictions. First, I was feeling a bit lazy, so it couldn't be too difficult, and second, I wasn't ready for a mayo hangover, so I needed something a bit lighter.

Without really thinking about it, I grabbed a few things from the fridge and cranked the oven. I decided to roast the potatoes instead of boiling them. It was easier; I didn't have to babysit something on the stove. Then I married a thinly sliced onion, the juice of a lemon and a splash of vinegar. By the time the potatoes were done, my onions were perfectly limp. Mix them with some chopped parsley and yogurt and ta-da -- a light, fresh dressing that isn't as heavy as mayo but doesn't fall short on flavor.


I threw in some carrots for color. I served this for dinner as sort of a salad medley, this salad along with a couple of others. I must have eaten a heavy lunch because the light meal hit the spot.

This potato salad reminded me of this spectacular salad I made last summer. I think both of them deserve a regular rotation alongside Grandma Sarah's more traditional potato salad.

Some of you may not think this could be a meal, but I would disagree. Top it with a sliced, hard boiled egg, and it sounds like a perfect lunch to me. Maybe that's what I'll do if I ever have leftovers. One can hope.

Lemon Yogurt Potato Salad

4 to 5 medium yellow potatoes, cut into equal-sized cubes

3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on the bias
1 small onion, thinly sliced

Juice of one large lemon

Roughly 1/2 cup plain yogurt

1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

Handful of parsley, chopped

S&P to taste

Olive Oil


In separate bowls, toss potatoes and carrots with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in a 400 oven on separate cookie sheets until cooked through. About 10 minutes for the carrots and 20 minutes for the potatoes. Combine onion, lemon juice and vinegar and set aside. Once potatoes and carrots have cooled enough to handle, toss them in a large bowl together. Combine onion mixture with yogurt. Add parsley and salt and pepper. Pour dressing over potatoes and carrots and gently toss to combine. Serve room temperature or cover and refrigerate for later service.

No comments: