19 April 2010

Nice rice

We've been eating a lot of rice around our house lately. We eat it as a side dish, stir fry it with veggies and call it a main dish, top it with a friend egg for breakfast or sprinkle it with sugar for a sweet treat.

That's why I was so happy when I made a lemon rice dish last week that I could have eaten in one setting. This wouldn't be so bad except I'd made a huge portion to take to a pot luck. I got the idea after reading a recipe in Bon Appetit. There was nothing wrong with their recipe, but I just didn't have all of the ingredients around. So, I made do with what I had, and that was more than enough.



The next day, I went to another pot luck party, with a surprisingly similar guest list, and one of my neighbors commented on the rice I'd brought the night before. He said he loved the vibrant green color the avocados gave it. I tend to agree. It was tasty, but it was pretty beautiful, too.


Lemon Avocado Rice
(this makes a pretty large portion, but it could easily be halved)

2 1/2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
4 1/2 cups water for cooking rice
2 large lemons
4 avocados
1 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
1 bunch cilantro

Bring salted water to a boil and add rice. Cover and reduce heat. Cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Spread rice out onto a baking sheet for quick cooling. While rice is cooling, zest and juice the lemons. Using about 3/4 of the lemon juice, make a dressing with the juice, oil, salt, pepper and zest. The ratio should be about one and half parts oil to one part juice. Set aside. Dice avocados and toss in the remaining lemon juice. Roughly chop a handful or two of cilantro. Add dressing to room temperature rice and stir to coat evening. Add avocados, corn and cilantro and toss, being sure not to smash the tender avocados. Season to taste. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.

2 comments:

Emilia said...

Avocados are hard to find in Italy, but as soon as I find them I will make this. It looks great and I think the family will love it!

Amy McFall Prince said...

Emilia, I think you could make it without the avocados, but they sure do make it tasty. I'm surprised to hear you can't find them there. I thought they may grow well there, but then again, what do I know?